Sunday, January 21, 2007

On The Road Again...

As many of you have picked up on (and commented on) I'm not one to sit still for long. I realized years ago that being single offered me great opportunities to do lots of different things. I'm not one to sit home and pine about being single. Nope...that's just not going to get anyone anywhere. So...my busy life began.

This year it feels a little different though. I often find myself doing things and realizing how different life will be in a year or so. Am I ready for the change? OH BABY (literally!) YES!!! But, while I'm still footloose and fancy free I'm enjoying myself.

Later today I'll join my friend Sharon who is traveling for business and she and I will take to the sky once more. Destination...beautiful Vancouver, British Columbia! I love traveling with Sharon and am very sorry that these little trips will soon end but for Miss Hannah, no problem. Sharon and I have had the amazing privilege of going to Vancouver (3x), Calgary, Edmonton, a small tour of Saskatchewan and also various places within Ontario. Who knows though, if referrals continue to lengthen we may sneak in one more January trip next year. I'd prefer to be in China or home with Hannah but no one really knows what will happen. Only God knows and I'm trusting Him completely with the timing and the whole entire adoption.

This trip also holds a very special place in my heart for 2 other reasons.

1) It was in January of 2005 when we were in Vancouver that the Lord laid it on my heart to begin my adoption journey. I remember it as if it were yesterday. I'd been thinking about it for 5 days after reading about Julie on a scrapbooking board and her being able to start her paperchase. After that, it was in my heart.

It was a beautiful, sunny day and I was having my quiet time with the Lord, sitting in the hotel room in Burnaby, BC, looking out at the majestic mountains He had created and I just knew. I knew that this was what God wanted me to do. I was excited, scared, thrilled and overwhelmed that this might come to be. I'd considered adopting from China a couple of years before that and done a tiny bit of research but allowed the financial aspects to deter me.

Not this time. I just knew it was God. I remember going next door to the hotel to a divey, dark little internet cafe and starting my research. Just a few weeks later I would be on a waiting list.

When Sharon came back to the room that night I think I about knocked the socks off her with my announcement! She was reserved in her reaction but I now understand why and love her all the more for wanting to protect me from possible hurt. Now, she's excited about Hannah's arrival too.

I called my parents the following day and my Mom and Dad were thrilled! Mom actually said she had wondered about this and prayed about it for me but didn't want to say anything just incase I misinterpreted her and felt she thought I wouldn't get married and have a child with my husband. Ya know what, there's probably a lot of truth in what she said. Some days I would have understood her but other days I would totally have gone where she feared. So, she silently prayed and God answered her prayers. Thank you for praying Mom, and continuing to lift Hannah and I daily before the Lord and I know you do. I love you Mom!...and Dad too!

2) The second exciting part about this trip is that my wonderful friend Dawn is flying in from northern BC so that we can spend time together! How cool is that?!! She and I have become amazing friends through our adoption journeys and God is giving us an opportunity to meet in person next week! Can't wait Dawn!!

Hmmm...what started to be a quick post about traveling to Vancouver has ended up being a wonderful journey down memory lane. I love it when that happens!

For the first time ever, we're bringing Sharon's laptop so will have email and internet in the room. Yeah!! I'll be keeping in touch from the other side of our beautiful country of Canada.

Thanks for house sitting for me Carol! The dust bunnies will love the company! :o)

8 comments:

  1. I love how you came to your decision to adopt in the presence of the Lord and in such a beautiful place. Hannah needs to hear that story! I spent a week in Vancouver in the early summer of 1986. I sang at the Expo '86 that took place there. It's a great town. My BIL says that he had the second-best ever sushi meal there outside of Japan. So, if you're into sushi, you'll be in the right place. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the story of your adoption begninnings too!

    But, I have to say, I can't keep up with you. I never know where you'll turn up next :0)

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your story brought tears to my eyes. I know that powerful feeling. I had it myself and it is amazing.

    I am jealous that you are Dawn are going to meet. I would love to hide in your bag and tag along. Have a wonderful time. I can't wait to read all about your meeting.

    *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great time in our neck of the woods, Catherine! Best of all, have fun with Dawn, I can tell that you guys are "kindred spirits".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too was moved by your adoption decision moment. My DH Craig and I had a similar expeience.

    Have a wonderful time and I look forward to reading about your adventures there.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wooo-hooo!!!

    In less than 48 hrs I'll be meeting you for the very first time!! That's CRAZY!!!

    I am soooo needing this get-away and I couldn't think of another person I'd rather spend it with!!!

    Here I come!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful story! Have a wonderful trip. Can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy 10 mths!!!!!

    Can't wait to celebrate tomorrow with you!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...