Friday, June 20, 2008

Smalltown, SK

Yesterday Sharon and I moved to a new little town in western Saskatchewan. It was a big step up as they have a Wal-Mart, Mall, McDonald's, DQ and Tim Horton's! Most of which we frequented within the first 2 hours of hitting town! :o)

We're on the move again tomorrow but have had fun here the past couple of days. It's so neat to visit these little towns! My lifestyle is busy, busy and I can't see myself living in a small town but, they sure are fun to visit. Today I walked across the street to Wal-Mart and 3 different people waved at me...just because. (Oh yah, and maybe because they're not used to seeing a silly girl walking and reading a novel at the same time...one of my favourite things to do while walking.)

This morning I also treated myself to a pedicure. The neat thing is that yesterday when I asked around town where I could get a pedicure there wasn't anything available. This morning after dropping Sharon off at work I noticed a sign advertising pedicures and wrote down the number. I called, we booked it and I showed up later in the morning for a little pampering. Wanna know the neat thing? The gal that did it just opened her shop last week and her sign went up at 6:00 last night! I found it at 8:30 this morning. Guess advertising really worked this time!

Sharon had the afternoon off today so after lunch we decided to take our books and enjoy some time in the beautiful sunshine. We toured the town and found the only place we could that had places to sit in the sun...here's a pic of Sharon reading


....and this is where we were sitting!
Yep, yep, yep...the only place we could find to read on a bench that wasn't on the side of the road was at a McDonald's! Once again people stopped by to chat just because we were sitting there. One of which was a nice old guy who works at McDonald's and was outside tearing down some boxes. He chatted to us for quite a bit and his favourite saying was, 'yep, yep...yep, yep, yep.' :o) He told us that the prairies are so flat that your dog can run away and you don't loose sight of him for days!! LOL!

For those of you who may not be familiar with the Prairies, they are famous for a few things. 2 of which we were lucky to have right inside our motel! Horses...

and Trains

Something else they have here that's not common at home is a place to scrape the dirt and ummmm....cow patties off your boots before entering the hotel.

Signs like this are also a common occurance.

We're thinking that Sharon's heels don't need to be scraped or removed before entering the hotel.

We'll be on our way to Saskatoon tomorrow night after Sharon finishes work. We'll be there until next week and are really looking forward to visiting this beautiful city. Sunday is a day to ourselves so we'll check out some of the local sights together. We're also staying at a beautiful hotel that's located on the Saskatoon River. Sounds very pretty and with the weather showing nothing but sun for the next week it's going to be wonderful!

Monday I'm headed 2 hours south to visit a great bloggy friend Kim and her sweetie Channing! SO looking forward to finally meeting them! We've talked on the phone a couple of times and it's always wonderful. Her little one is totally adorable and I cannot wait to spend time with them!! More fun ahead next week.

I am so thankful for the friendship that God has given Sharon and I! We enjoy hanging out together and have 8 years of these trips that we've shared together. It was on one of these trips that God layed it on my heart to adopt Hannah! What a precious friendship we share. Thank you Lord for the wonderful gift of frienship.

10 comments:

  1. The papaya and I loved meeting you last year on your "trip". I know Kim & Channing are soooo excited to meet you this year! Hope you all have a great time on Monday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like good fun with a good friend. Enjoy.

    Lea
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. there is something to be said about small town hospitality! :0)
    Sounds like you are having a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are having a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you're having a blast. I have travelled to Saskatoon a few times to visit family and I love it! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could one of you people please come and remove the camera from this gal.....LOL....yes we are having a great time!!!!You are great fun Cath!!!
    Love Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice toes! Glad you are having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you have a special friend to share so many great memories with.

    I agree with the gentleman, the prairies are THAT flat. My tush is still flat from our drive out here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I miss those mechanical horses! My mom would have to pry me off them when I was a kid.

    So glad you 2 are having a great trip together!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...